Friday, April 26, 2013

Super Planners Unite! Ways to Beat the Villain Called Stress

Planning, managing, and producing an event is stressful. Event professionals are almost always in a constant state of fight or flight; figuratively and literally.  Fighting with couriers, vendors, and suppliers when things don't go quite right at the last moment to trying to flee the chaos of it all just to take a quick breather between small bites of meals we'll never completely finish.

As much as we'd love to believe that the body functions best when always on high alert, studies show otherwise.  According to an article by Mayo Clinic, "If your mind and body are constantly on edge because of excessive stress in your life, you may face serious health problems. That's because your body's "fight-or-flight reaction" — its natural alarm system — is constantly on." 

Some of the health problems that can occur under constant stress are:

  • Heart disease
  • Sleep problems
  • Digestive problems
  • Depression
  • Obesity
  • Memory impairment
  • Skin conditions

  • Over the years I've suffered from many of the conditions on this list and still dealing with a couple as I type.  In 2006 I was unloading boxes, began to feel dizzy and started to experience heart palpitations. I hadn't eaten or drank much all day because I had take a red eye to the convention center, immediately dropped my suitcase off in my room at the hotel, then hopped in a cab to the convention center.

    I luckily worked for a pharmacy related association and while helping to set up the expo floor started talking to an exhibitor about heart related issues. I spoke to my management team, went to the doctor and it was then that I found out I was suffering from bouts of palpitations and atrial fibrillation induced by stress, diet and dehydration.

    After that very scary moment I decided to make some changes.  Of course I'm still on and off the wagon as some days are more hectic than others but I've learned how to take brief moments of zen during the busiest times of the year.

     

    Here are some ideas and ways to reduce stress while still saving the world as Super Planner!   

    1.  Take a tech break - Believe it or not, it's okay to unplug. Take at least a 15-30 minute break away from your email, phone, blackberry, and other devices. Don't open up your Twitter feed, don't instagram, don't pin, click out of Facebook.  We take in a massive amount of information in one day and our eyes and hands need a break too.

    2.  Take a virtual vacation using nature sounds or white noise - I keep a Soundscapes radio near my bed and have my sounds app when I travel.  It's the perfect white noise I need to block out the sounds and chatter around me.  I can close my office door or find a quiet spot and transport myself to a beach, rain forest, or country porch in the middle of nowhere in an instant. 

    3.  Pack healthy snacks - This is so important.  I have a lot more energy in the middle of a day when I have small snacks such as dried fruit, nuts, cheese sticks and crackers to much on.  The snacks are quick, easy to transport, and keep you feeling full throughout the day.

    4.  Move - Whatever you do, just keep moving...away from the office or your desk.  Take a walk around the block, do some laps up and down the hall, all you need is 30 minutes. (Confession time:  I'm horrible at taking my own advice though.  I can easily become so distracted that I can be sedentary the entire day if busy enough). 

    5.  Prep your workspace for peace - Make sure that your environment is conducive to work AND just as relaxing.  Keep a few stress toys, a fountain, funny signs, plants or photos of loved ones in your space.  Keep work area free of clutter and organized and make sure it reflects your personality.  For ideas on how to create a more relaxing space visit http://life.gaiam.com/article/6-ways-create-more-peaceful-workspace

    6.  Sleep - I know you don't really sleep much if at all when the event is quickly approaching but when you do get the opportunity, don't ruin it by checking email at 2am because your phone alert is going off. Whether trying to get a full night's rest or grabbing a power nap in the middle of the day, just close those eyes and catch some Zs.

    7.  Recess time! - We are adults but even adults need play time. I used to participate in weekly team breaks called Manic Monday or Wacky Wednesday.  We'd use those days to celebrate anything and everything.  Accomplishments, birthdays, life!  It was during these times I bonded and interacted with my team mates.  As a result of our increased communication and stronger relationships, we produced higher quality and more successful events.

    8.  Get and be a mentor - Mentors not only guide you through your career and personal life, they are great sounding boards when you need to talk and can advise you when you're searching for another perspective or need to solve a pressing problem.  Good mentors will make time for you when possible and when needed most. Remember mentoring is a two way street, so if someone is there to listen to you, make sure you are taking the time during a hectic day to be someone else's ear.

    9.  Let the light shine in - Vitamin D is good for you :)  If you don't have windows in your office, go outside and soak up the sun. 

    10.  Just breathe - It's an easy enough concept that you don't have to think much about but when you do take the time to think about it, you'll find it can be relaxing and calming.  Try deep breathing exercises during your most stressful moments but don't overdo it or you'll fall out (trust me, I know!). Breathing exercises - http://healthland.time.com/2012/10/08/6-breathing-exercises-to-relax-in-10-minutes-or-less/  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment